Back to top
Baked Oysters with Herb Butter and Fried Shallots
Herb butter adds incredible flavor to these oysters.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons diced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce*
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 18 fresh oysters on half shell
- Fried Shallots (recipe follows)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallot (about 1 large shallot)
- In a small bowl, stir together butter, diced shallot, tarragon, parsley, hot sauce, salt, and pepper until well combined. Transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap, and roll into a 5-inch log. Refrigerate until firm to cut, about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise and horseradish. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Unwrap herb butter; cut log into 18 slices (about ¼ inch thick).
- In a 13×9-inch baking dish or on a large rimmed baking sheet, place oysters on half shell.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Top each oyster with 1 slice herb butter, and bake until oyster edges curl, about 5 minutes more. Top oysters with horseradish aïoli and Fried Shallots. Serve immediately.
*We used TABASCO® hot sauce.
- In a small saucepan, pour oil to a depth of 1 inch, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a shallow dish, place flour. Add shallot, tossing to coat.
- Fry shallot until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Let drain on paper towels.