Back to top
Chocolate Layer Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 3 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/3 cups sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups hot New England® Coffee
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup cooled coffee
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans.
- Cut 3 circles of waxed paper or parchment paper to fit the bottoms of the pans, then press them in.
- In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar and eggs and mix until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, cocoa, baking soda, and salt and mix.
- Add 1/2 of the flour, then 1/2 of the sour cream and mix.
- Repeat with the remaining flour and sour cream.
- Drizzle in the hot coffee and mix until smooth. The batter will be thin.
- Pour into the prepared pans and bake until the tops are firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (a few crumbs are okay), about 35 minutes.
- Halfway through the baking, quickly rotate the pans in the oven to ensure even baking, but otherwise try not to open the oven.
- Let cool in the pan 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks and let cool completely before frosting.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Drizzle in the melted chocolate and mix.
- Add the coffee and vanilla and mix.
- Add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Mix until well blended and fluffy.
- To frost the cake, use a spatula to cover 2 of the cake layers with frosting.
- Stack them together. Flip the third cake layer over and rest it on the top to create a very flat top for the cake.
- Frost on the sides and top.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.