Back to top
Cochon de Lait Poboy
This sandwich is one of the great meals to be had at Jazz Fest and the Poboy Fest in New Orleans, and it also has its very own festival in the Cajun country of Louisiana. After one bite you’ll understand why. Cochon de lait is traditionally a whole pig roasted outdoors in a fire pit, but pork butt is a great substitute for city dwellers.
- 1 six-pound bone-in pork butt
- 10 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Louisiana style hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup beef stock, chicken stock or other liquid such as beer or water
- 1 loaf New Orleans style French bread, cut into 6-inch lengths
- 1 recipe Sweet and Smoky Mayonnaise, recipe as follows
- Special equipment: Instant Pot®️ or other pressure cooker
- PLACE the pork in a shallow baking dish. Using the tip of a paring knife, make 16 narrow but deep slits in the meat, evenly spaced on all sides, and insert a piece of garlic deep into each slit.
- COMBINE honey, hot sauce, paprika, mustard powder and salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- RUB the spice mixture all over the pork.
- SET the Instant Pot®️ to the high sauté setting. Add the oil and once hot add the pork, turning, until browned on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set the Instant Pot®️ to warm and add the beef stock to the pot. Follow the manufacturer’s guide for locking the lid and preparing to cook. Set the pressure cooker to high and cook for 1 hour.
- ONCE the pressure cooker cycle is complete, follow the instructions for slow release and wait for the cycle to complete. Carefully unlock and remove the lid. Transfer the pork to a large bowl.
- SET the pressure cooker to the saute setting and simmer the juices until reduced by half, about 15 minutes. While the juices are reducing use a ladle to remove any fat that rises to the top. Season to taste with salt.
- SHRED the pork with two forks. Add the reduced juices back into the shredded pork and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let stand so the pork reabsorbs the juices.
- SERVE warm on the bread with Sweet and Smoky Mayonnaise.