Galette Des Rois (French King Cake)
1 (10-inch) galette
The Galette des Rois is an ancient French tradition – it’s a delicious cake served since the Middle Ages in celebration of the arrival of the Three Kings (Wise Men) to visit the Baby Jesus. Of course it’s also the foundation of the famous New Orleans King Cake tradition and a perfect dessert to serve with coffee anytime of the year.
- 1/2 cup (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond meal (flour)
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1 batch prepared Puff Pastry Dough
- 1 egg, whisked, for egg wash
- MAKE FILLING: Place butter, sugar, salt, egg, almond meal, rum, almond extract and flour in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth and creamy. Place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. (Can be stored in refrigerator in airtight container for up to 2 weeks, or frozen in airtight container for up to 3 months.)
- MAKE CAKE: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1/2 of the puff pastry dough, large enough to cut out a 10-inch circle (1/4-inch thick). Brush off excess flour. Repeat with second half of puff pastry.
- PLACE 1 circle on prepared baking sheet, brush top with egg wash and spread almond paste evenly over pastry, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. Top with second circle of puff pastry. Using fingertips, press the edges of both pieces together to ensure proper sealing. Brush top with egg wash. (Avoid egg washing the cut sides.) Place in refrigerator for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 400℉ while dough is resting.
- REMOVE from refrigerator. Using a round piping tip or paring knife, cut a 1/4-inch hole in the center of the top pastry for the steam to escape. Using a paring knife, score a decorative design on the top pastry. (Do not cut all the way through.)
- BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Rotate the pastry after 20 minutes for even browning.
- To make ahead of time, follow all directions up to scoring, wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Lay flat in freezer for up to 1 month. When ready to bake, remove from freezer and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before egg washing and scoring. Place directly into preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Rotate after 20 minutes for even browning.
- To make individual galettes, roll dough out as directed above. Use a biscuit cutter of desired size to cut out circles, and follow directions. Recommended amount of filling for a 3-inch round is 2 to 3 ounces.