Hot Honey Apple Tea
about 1 quart
Set your slow cooker and let this yummy tea simmer, filling the kitchen with a spicy fall aroma. Delicious and comforting – a cold-weather classic, even in the South.
- 2 large lemons
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 ½ cups water, divided
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 Luzianne® Family Size Iced Tea bag
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from one of the lemons in long strips; reserve the rest of the lemon for another use. Use the second lemon to create garnishes of your choice. Set aside.
- Prepare citrus syrup: Add the lemon zest, honey, and ½ cup water to a small saucepot. Stir. Heat the mixture gently over low heat until the honey melts, about 60 seconds. Set aside to steep for 20 minutes. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the solids from the liquid, pressing on the solids with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids.
- In a medium pot, bring the remaining 2 cups water, apple juice, and citrus syrup to a boil. Add the tea bag, remove from heat, cover and allow to steep for 10 minutes. Remove and discard the tea bag. Serve warm in teacups. Garnish with lemon twists, if desired.
To make it a toddy, replace ¾ cup of the water with ¾ cup of apple-flavored bourbon.