Louisiana Cane Syrup Cake
1 8-inch cake, about 8 servings
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup Louisiana cane syrup
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 ¼ cups Swans Down Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup hot water
- Whipped cream (or ice cream), for serving
- PREHEAT oven to 350℉.
- GREASE lightly and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
- COMBINE the butter, sugar and cane syrup in a medium-sized mixing bowl and mix well. Add the egg and stir to combine.
- SIFT together the flour, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg, and clove.
- COMBINE hot water and baking soda, in a small bowl and stir until the baking soda has dissolved.
- ADD half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until just combined. Add half of the hot water and baking soda mixture and mix well before adding the remaining flour and water. Stir until all of the ingredients are incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- BAKE for 35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes in the pan. Turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- SERVE with sweetened whipped cream or ice cream.