Mardi Gras Beignets
Use our Classic New Orleans Beignets recipe as the base to make these Mardi Gras fried-dough favorites. Add a hint of almond flavor, top with sweet glaze and purple, green and gold-colored sugars and serve them whenever it feels like carnival time!
- 2 dozen fresh Classic New Orleans Beignets
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- Purple, green and gold sugar, for garnish
- PREPARE beignets according to recipe, up to and including step 9. Remove beignets from oil and place on a sheet pan fitted with a wire rack. Let cool completely.
- MAKE GLAZE: Mix confectioners’ sugar, almond extract and 1 tablespoon of water in a medium bowl and mix until smooth. (It should have the consistency of honey. If too thick, add the remaining water 1/2 teaspoon at a time. If too runny, add 1 teaspoon of confectioners’ sugar at a time.)
- DIP top side of beignets in glaze and return to wire rack. Sprinkle with colored sugars.