Back to top
Orange Cranberry Scones
About 16 scones
A bit more dense and crumbly than a biscuit, scones stand up well to a hot cup of tea or coffee. Add the sweet-tart taste combination of orange and cranberries for an extra special breakfast, coffee-break or tea-time treat.
- 5 cups sifted Swans Down®️ Cake Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup whole cranberries, fresh or frozen
- Zest of one orange
- 1 cup half and half
- Egg wash (1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, whisked)
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- MAKE SCONES: Preheat oven to 350℉. Line sheet pan with parchment
- MIX flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Grate cold butter into flour mixture. Work into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- ADD cranberries and orange zest. Add half and half a little at a time until the dough comes together. Form dough into two disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes. Cut each disk into 8 triangles.
- PLACE dough triangles on sheet pan, brush with egg wash and bake for 25 minutes. Rotate pan after 20 minutes.
- MAKE GLAZE: Place powdered sugar in medium bowl. Whisk orange juice in a little at a time until glaze is the consistency of honey or molasses.
- DRIZZLE glaze over tops of baked scones after they have cooled for 10 minutes.