Back to top
Smashed and Grilled Potato Salad
4 to 6 servings
Boiling potatoes and then grilling them on a grill pan creates a soft center with a crispy crust. Toss them in a simple dressing and serve as a side with whatever’s on the grill.
- 2 pounds creamer potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig lemon thyme + 1 1/2 teaspoon chopped lemon thyme leaves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse mustard
- 2 teaspoons chives, thinly sliced
- Place potatoes in a pot of salted water with bay leaf, the sprig of lemon thyme, and black peppercorns; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until just tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain well and smash each potato until slightly flattened.
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, the 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped lemon thyme, and the salt and pepper. Toss potatoes gently in olive oil mixture to coat, making sure to not break the potatoes.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill potatoes, in batches if necessary, until a slight crust forms and potatoes are golden brown. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, green onions, parsley, mustard and chives; mix well. Spoon the mayonnaise mixture over the potatoes and toss gently until evenly coated.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- If a grill pan is not available, the potatoes can be roasted in the oven until crispy.