Southern Style Cornbread
6 to 8 Servings
Hot, buttery and ever so slightly sweet, this cornbread is golden. A bit of mayo in the batter gives it a moist, not-too-crumbly texture that slices up nicely. Serve with Southern favorites like beans and rice, chili con carne or barbecue.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons cane syrup or honey
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 sprig thyme, optional
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Place the olive oil in an 8-inch iron or other heavy, oven proof skillet and preheat in the oven.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large bowl and whisk well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, egg and cane syrup. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven. Pour the batter into the skillet and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine butter, honey and thyme in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring until butter is melted. Remove the thyme sprig. Pour the honey butter mixture over the cornbread as soon as it comes out of the oven. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.