Sweet Tea Brined Pork Chops with Grilled Peaches
Brined and glazed with Luzianne® Sweet Tea and a dash of lemon juice, these chops are full of flavor. We paired them with grilled peaches but feel free to use plums or nectarines. Serve with a side salad for a quick and easy al fresco dinner.
- 4 center cut, boneless pork chops
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup coarse salt
- 2 Luzianne® Iced Tea bags, family size
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, to brush on pork chops before cooking
- 1 cup water2 Luzianne® Iced Tea bags, family size
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- ⅓ cup Steen’s cane syrup (or dark brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 peaches, pitted and halved
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to serve
- BRINE: Combine 1 cup of the water with brown sugar and salt in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring, to dissolve the salt and sugar. Once the sugar is dissolved remove from the heat and add tea bags. Let steep for 5 minutes (for the brief this is the brew time), then remove bags and discard. Pour in remaining 3 cups of cold water. When brine is completely cooled, pour over pork chops. (The pork chops can be brined in a baking dish or a resealable bag; just be sure they are completely covered.) Place pork chops in refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours.
- GLAZE: Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and then remove from heat. Add tea bags and fresh mint and Let stand for 15 minutes. Remove tea bags and mint leaves and add cane syrup and vinegar; bring to a brisk simmer. Reduce heat and continue to cook glaze, stirring occasionally, until thick and syrupy and reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Add lemon juice and cook for 2 minutes longer. (Makes about ⅓ cup. Glaze can be made up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated in a sealed container.)
- PORK CHOPS: Set grill to high heat. Remove pork chops from brine, pat dry and brush them with olive oil. Grill pork chops for 4 minutes per side, then reduce heat to low and brush on the glaze. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes per side, continuing to brush on more glaze. Transfer from grill to a platter and tent with foil.
- PEACHES: Toss peach halves in olive oil, rosemary and salt. Transfer peach halves, cut side down, to grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, brushing them with any remaining olive oil. Season peaches with ground black pepper to taste, plate with the pork chops and serve immediately.