Back to top
Tiger Sauce Beer Can Chicken
4 to 6 servings
Placing a whole chicken on a half-full can of beer ensures that it’s moist and tender on the inside, while grilling or baking it provides a deliciously crispy exterior. The best of both worlds, with lots of Tiger Sauce sweet heat!
- 1 whole roasting chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 scallions, whites minced, greens thinly sliced, separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 (12-ounce) can beer
- 1/4 cup Tiger Sauce® Habanero Lime
- Ranch dressing, for serving
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for indirect grilling. Rinse chicken and remove and discard neck and giblets from chicken cavity. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
- Mash butter and scallion whites in a small bowl with a fork. Carefully loosen skin at top of chicken breast and rub 1/2 teaspoon of the salt on the breast meat. Spread scallion butter evenly under skin of breast, without removing skin.
- Rub oil over outside of chicken. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon salt, the pepper and 2 teaspoons of Creole seasoning. Open a beer can and discard half of the beer, then add the remaining 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning into the beer can. Place the can on a small baking sheet and carefully slide chicken cavity over can. Pull the legs forward so they form a tripod with the can and chicken can stand on its own. (Or use a beer-can-chicken holder sold at most food and grill stores.) Tuck wing tips behind chicken.
- Stand chicken on the can in center of grill away from heat source. Cover grill and cook until legs move easily when twisted or lifted and an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads at least 165°F, about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Brush chicken to coat completely with Tiger Sauce. Cover grill again and continue cooking until chicken skin crisps, about 5 to 8 minutes longer.
- With tongs and a flat metal spatula, carefully remove chicken and can from grill and place on a clean cutting board or serving platter. Let chicken stand 5 to 10 minutes. Twist can from chicken; discard can.
- Carve chicken, top with sliced scallion greens and serve with ranch dressing for dipping.
- Oven method: Prepare chicken as directed. Arrange oven rack in lowest position and preheat to 375°F. Stand the chicken on the can in an 8-inch square (2-quart) baking dish. Pour a little water in bottom of dish. Bake until legs move easily when twisted or lifted and instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads at least 165°F, about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Brush chicken to coat completely with Tiger Sauce. Bake until chicken skin crisps, about 5 to 8 minutes longer. Serve as directed.