Angel Food Cake
- 1 1/4 cup – Sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
- 1/2 cup – granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons – cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoons – salt
- 1/4 teaspoon – almond extract
- 1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (about 12) – egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups – granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 375º. Sift SWANS DOWN Cake Flour, then lightly spoon into measurement cup for 1 ¼ cups. Add ½ cup sugar, and sift four times. In a very large bowl, combine egg whites, cream of tartar, salt, and flavorings. Beat at high speed of electric mixer until moist soft peaks form. Add balance of sugar in 4 additions, beating until blended after each addition. Sift in flour mixture in 4 additions, folding in with large spoon; turn bowl often. Bake: Pour into ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Bake at 375º, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool cake upside in pan on cake rack for approx. 1 hour or until comfortable for handling.
Note: ***Use a very large bowl.