Apple Streusel Coffee Cake
Streusel Topping and Filling
- 1/3 cup – packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons – sugar
- 1 cup – chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons – ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup – unsifted Swans Down Cake Flour
- 1/4 cup – (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 4 – egg yolks
- 2/3 cup – sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 2 cups – sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
- 1 cup – sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon – baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon – baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon – salt
- 3/4 cup – (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large – Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons – fresh lemon juice, sprinkled over apple slices
PREHEAT oven to 350°; grease (with butter) and lightly flour a 9-inch springform pan.
MAKE STREUSEL TOPPING AND FILLING: Place sugars, nuts and cinnamon in bowl; mix well. Reserve 3/4 cup for filling. Add flour, butter and vanilla to remaining sugar mixture, blending well until the topping forms a coarse, crumbly texture.
PREPARE CAKE: Combine yolks, 1/4 of the sour cream and vanilla. Set aside. Mix together dry ingredients in large bowl. Add butter and remaining sour cream. Mix well. Gradually add egg mixture in 3 batches, beating well after each addition.
RESERVE 1/3 of batter. Spread remaining into prepared pan. Sprinkle with Streusel Filling. Top with apple slices. Drop remaining batter over fruit. Sprinkle with the Streusel Topping.
BAKE until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. Remove from oven; cool on wire rack.