6 to 8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, such as Rancho GordoTM Heirloom Beans
- 3 cups water, for soaking beans
- 3 strips thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Carroll Shelby’s® Chili Kit
- 1 teaspoon salt + extra to taste
- 1 ham hock
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dark beer + extra for serving
- 4 ounces dark beer
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, optional
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 serrano peppers (or 1 jalapeño pepper), sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Limes, quartered, for garnish
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1 Fresno pepper, thinly sliced, for garnish
- SOAK beans overnight in 3 cups water.
- HEAT a Dutch oven over medium heat and add bacon. Cook until crisp, then add onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add 3 tablespoons of the chili kit spice mix packet and salt and stir well. Add beans, ham hock and any remaining soaking liquid along with broth and beer.
- BRING to a simmer, reduce heat and continue to cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.
- REMOVE beans from heat and allow to cool slightly. Remove ham hock and set aside; when cooled, pull meat from hock and add meat back to the pot.
- ADD beer and bourbon to cooked beans; if liquid is too thin, heat beans over medium heat to reduce.
- COOK bacon in a medium sauté pan over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel. Add red onion, serrano (or jalapeño) pepper and garlic to the pan and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add bacon to mixture and add mixture to beans.
- GARNISH with a lime wedge, cilantro leaves and sliced Fresno pepper.