Fried Egg Sandwich
Use your favorite sandwich bread to make this quick breakfast, lunch or light dinner. It’s great on rye or French bread or whatever you have. If you pierce the yolk when you start to cook the egg, it will lie flatter on the sandwich. Using Blue Plate® Mayonnaise on the outside of the bread slices (instead of butter in the skillet) makes a grilled sandwich beautifully browned and more flavorful!
- ½ teaspoon butter
- 1 large egg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 or 2 slices bread, toasted if desired
- 1 tablespoon Blue Plate® Mayonnaise, or more to taste
- 1 or 2 tomato slices
- 1 or 2 large lettuce leaves
- MELT butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add egg. If desired, pierce the yolk with the tip of a knife.
- AFTER 1 minute, flip egg. Lightly salt and pepper the second side. After 30 seconds or so, the egg will be set but still soft. Continue cooking if a harder egg is desired. Turn off heat and keep warm in the pan.
- SPREAD mayonnaise on both sides of the bread. Transfer egg to one side; layer tomato and lettuce on the second. Press the two sides together lightly.
- SLICE in half if desired. Serve immediately.