Herb Mayo Roasted Turkey
14 - 16 servings
Using this lemony Herb Mayo as a seasoning rub essentially creates a self-basting turkey. Mayonnaise, unlike butter or oil, stays put on the turkey during roasting, resulting in a perfectly baked turkey that’s tender on the inside and crispy and flavorful on the outside.
- 1 gallon water, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups coarse salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 gallon water, iced
- 1 1/2 cups Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 turkey, 10 to 12 pounds, fresh or defrosted
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 carrot, peeled and halved
- 1 celery stick, halved
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- Make the Brine: Combine the room temperature water, salt, sugar, lemon, rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano, black peppercorns, mustard seeds and coriander seeds in a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand until the water cools to just warm. Add the ice water to the pot.
- Place the turkey in a clean 5-gallon container and pour the brine over the turkey. Refrigerate and allow to marinate for at least 12 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the brine, discard brine and pat the turkey dry.
- Make the Herb Mayo: Combine the mayonnaise, rosemary, lemon juice, lemon zest, sage, thyme, parsley and black pepper and mix well.
- Prepare the Turkey: Preheat oven to 450℉. Place the turkey on a roasting pan or large baking sheet with a rack. Rub the Herb Mayo onto the turkey’s exterior and in the interior cavity, coating the turkey completely. Stuff the onion, carrot, celery and thyme into the cavity.
- Place the roasting pan with the turkey on the oven’s middle rack and roast at 425℉ for 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350℉ and continue to cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, checking it periodically to make sure the exterior does not overcook. If necessary, remove the turkey, tent it with aluminum foil, and return it to the oven. Cook the turkey until a thermometer inserted into the leg area reaches 165℉ on a digital thermometer.
- When done, remove the turkey from the oven and let it stand for 15 minutes before carving.