Back to top
4 Layer Sponge Cake
1 (9-inch) cake
- 12 eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 1/2 cups sifted Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
FRUIT FILLINGS AND GARNISH
- 2 pounds fresh cherries, pitted (reserve stems on a few for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons brandy, optional
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup peaches, diced small
- 4 tablespoons sour cherry spread (or jam)
- 1 cup peaches, sliced, for garnish
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Grease with butter and lightly flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans. Shake out excess flour.
- SEPARATE eggs, placing yolks in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and whites in a separate large mixing bowl.
- ADD sugar and oil to egg yolks. Using the whisk attachment, beat on low to medium speed for 5 to 7 minutes until the mixture is pale yellow, thick and forms ribbons when the whisk is lifted out of the bowl. Mix vanilla, orange juice and zest into egg yolk mixture.
- SIFT cake flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to egg yolk mixture and whisk until batter is well combined.
- WITH a handheld mixer, beat egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes. Fold half of egg whites into batter, using a rubber or silicone spatula. When completely incorporated, gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- POUR batter into prepared cake pans and bake for about 50 minutes in the center of the oven, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Time may vary according to your oven. Remove cake from oven and set pans on a wire rack. Cool completely before removing from pans, about an hour.
- MAKE SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM: Combine whipped cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla and almond extracts in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk. Whisk cream until soft peaks form. Cover and chill in refrigerator until use.
- PREPARE CHERRIES: Combine cherries with brandy and sugar and let stand for 3 to 4 minutes to macerate.
- ASSEMBLE CAKE: Slice each cake in half horizontally to create 4 layers. Place first layer on a serving plate.
- SPREAD 1 tablespoon of sour cherry jam over cake layer, then add a layer of Sweetened Whipped Cream, about 1/2 cup. Arrange 2/3 cup brandied cherries and 1/3 cup diced peaches over whipped cream.
- REPEAT process for second and third layers.
- PLACE fourth and final layer on cake and frost with whipped cream, smoothing the cream with an offset spatula.
- ARRANGE sliced peaches around edge of cake and stack reserved cherries with stems in center of cake.