Back to top
Spicy German-style Potato Salad
Potato salad is the perfect side for just about anything from Easter ham to an outdoor smoked or grilled feast. This is a creamy, spicy version of a classic German potato salad with crispy crumbles of bacon and a touch of vinegar.
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold or other yellow potatoes, washed
- 4 strips thick cut bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, small diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, small diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, small diced
- 1/3 cup Blue Plate Hot & Spicy Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse grain mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus extra for boiling potatoes
- 1/2 bunch green onions, cut on a bias, for garnish
- Place potatoes in a pot of cold, salted water, enough to cover them by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Cut potatoes into bite size pieces and toss into a large bowl.
- Cook the bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the fat. Add garlic, onion and red and yellow bell peppers to skillet; cook until wilted, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a separate small bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, parsley, mustard and salt and whisk well. Toss the mayonnaise mixture with the potatoes. Add the bacon, garlic, onions and bell peppers and toss gently. Garnish with the green onions.