Bacon, Mushroom and Spinach Crepes
8 stuffed crepes
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion (about 1/2 of a medium onion)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 10 ounces baby spinach (2 boxes)
- 4 ounces Neufchâtel cheese
- 1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 8 Basic Crèpes
- Fresh herbs, minced, for garnish
- COOK bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set it aside on a paper towel to drain.
- ADD shitake mushrooms to the pan with the bacon fat and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towel with the bacon.
- HEAT 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large high-sided saute pan over medium heat. When melted, add onion, garlic, salt and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring as needed, until onion is very soft, about 5 minutes. Add half of spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes; then add second half of spinach and continue cooking, stirring, until spinach has wilted. Continue to cook until some of the liquid released from spinach has evaporated. Add Neufchâtel cheese and stir until melted. Add Gruyere and stir until melted.
- LAY each crepe flat on a plate or cutting board, spread with some spinach mixture and fold over as desired. Melt remaining butter in a saute pan, add folded crepes and heat until well browned and slightly crisp, about 1 minute per side. Garnish with minced fresh herbs and serve.