Back to top
Black Bean Cakes
Use Carroll Shelby’s authentic Texas chili spices and Blue Plate Mayonnaise to make some tasty black bean cakes topped with avocado and salsa. They’re an ideal game-day snack or can be served with a salad for a delicious vegetarian lunch.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cup Anaheim pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Carroll Shelby’s®️ Chili Kit
- 1 cup Swans Down®️ Cake Flour
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Avocado Mayo
- Pico de gallo (or your favorite salsa)
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour cream (or crème fraîche)
- HEAT 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, add red onion and Anaheim pepper and cook until tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and half of the chili kit spice mix packet (not the masa and cayenne packets), and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- PLACE flour, remaining contents of opened spice packet and contents of masa packet in a shallow bowl and mix well.
- BLEND half of the black beans in the bowl of a food processor. Transfer to a large bowl and add remaining beans, cooled vegetables, egg and contents of chili kit cayenne pepper packet to taste. Mix well. Divide mixture into 12 equally sized cakes.
- HEAT remaining olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, dust bean cakes with flour and transfer half of them to pan. Cook cakes for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and keep warm while cooking remaining cakes.
- TOP cakes with Avocado Mayo, pico de gallo, chopped cilantro and sour cream.