Black Bean Cakes
Use Carroll Shelby’s authentic Texas chili spices and Blue Plate Mayonnaise to make some tasty black bean cakes topped with avocado and salsa. They’re an ideal game-day snack or can be served with a salad for a delicious vegetarian lunch.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cup Anaheim pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Carroll Shelby’s®️ Chili Kit
- 1 cup Swans Down®️ Cake Flour
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Avocado Mayo
- Pico de gallo (or your favorite salsa)
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour cream (or crème fraîche)
- HEAT 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. When hot, add red onion and Anaheim pepper and cook until tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and half of the chili kit spice mix packet (not the masa and cayenne packets), and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- PLACE flour, remaining contents of opened spice packet and contents of masa packet in a shallow bowl and mix well.
- BLEND half of the black beans in the bowl of a food processor. Transfer to a large bowl and add remaining beans, cooled vegetables, egg and contents of chili kit cayenne pepper packet to taste. Mix well. Divide mixture into 12 equally sized cakes.
- HEAT remaining olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, dust bean cakes with flour and transfer half of them to pan. Cook cakes for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and keep warm while cooking remaining cakes.
- TOP cakes with Avocado Mayo, pico de gallo, chopped cilantro and sour cream.