Back to top
Bubbe’s Hanukkah Cookies
Although there is not an official cookie for Hanukkah, each family has its own traditions, lovingly passed down to each new generation by “Bubbe” (Grandma).
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups confectioners sugar + extra as needed
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Blue food coloring
- Sprinkles and other decorations, as desired
- MAKE DOUGH: Cream butter, sugar and cream cheese until soft in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add egg, vanilla and almond extract and beat until smooth. Mix flour and baking powder in a separate bowl, then add to butter mixture and mix until dough is combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator at least 2 hours. (Overnight is recommended.)
- MAKE COOKIES: Preheat oven to 375℉ and line 3 sheet pans with parchment paper. Roll chilled dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes using your favorite Hanukkah cookie cutters. Place cutouts onto prepared baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely before icing.
- MAKE ICING: Combine confectioners’ sugar and milk in a bowl until it’s the consistency of thick syrup. Add blue food coloring to desired shade. Place 1/3 of icing into a smaller bowl and add an extra tablespoon of powdered sugar to thicken. Using a piping bag, pipe the thicker icing around the border of each cookie, then fill in the top surface of each cookie, inside the piping, with the thinner icing. Add sprinkles and other decorations as desired.