CARROLL SHELBY’S INSTANT POT BEEF CHILI WITH BLACK BEANS
- 1 ½ cups dried black beans
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tablespoon granulated garlic)
- 1 ½ pounds ground organic beef
- 1 package Carroll Shelby’s® Original Texas Chili Kit
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 ½ cups beef broth (or stock)
- 1 cup dark beer (or substitute more stock)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 3 tablespoons fresh jalapeño, finely chopped
- Sour cream, for serving
- Grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, for serving
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- Diced avocado, for serving
- Chopped green onion, for serving
- Corn chips, for serving
- PLACE dried (unsoaked) beans in Instant Pot and add water to one inch above the level of the beans. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Release steam, then remove beans from pot, drain and set aside.
- SET Instant Pot to SAUTE, add oil and heat until shimmering.
- ADD onion and saute until softened, 2-3 minutes, then add garlic and ground beef. Saute 3-4 more minutes, stirring to break up the meat.
- SEASON with Carroll Shelby’s Chili Kit spice packets as desired. For thicker chili, stir in the masa harina. Mix well and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- ADD tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, beer (optional), Worcestershire, salt and jalapeño (optional). Cook and stir for 2 minutes, then add drained, cooked beans and stir well.
- PRESSURE cook on high for 22 minutes. Allow to sit and release pressure naturally, with valve still closed, for 15 minutes, then quick release any remaining steam, if necessary.
- ADJUST seasoning to taste.
- SERVE it how you like it, with toppings such as sour cream, grated cheese, avocado, sliced jalapeño, chopped, cilantro, green onion and corn chips.