Back to top
Charred Broccoli Salad
Israeli-born chef Alon Shaya, winner of a James Beard Award for Best Chef: South, is the creator of this wonderful broccoli salad. Adjust the amount of curry powder to taste.
- 8 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 7 tablespoons olive oil, divided use
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons yellow curry powder, divided use
- 1 cup sliced skin-on almonds
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup Blue Plate® Light Mayonnaise with Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup dried cherries or raisins
- PREHEAT oven to broil. In a large bowl, toss broccoli with 5 tablespoons olive oil, salt and up to 2 teaspoons curry. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- PLACE broccoli on bottom oven rack and roast about 15 minutes, until cooked through and lightly charred. Cool to room temperature.
- SAUTE almonds in an 8- to 10-inch skillet, over medium heat, in 2 tablespoons olive oil with ginger and garlic. Cut heat to medium low and cook slowly, stirring frequently, 10 minutes or until almonds are golden brown. Ingredients should just gently sizzle. When almonds are golden, add remaining 2 teaspoons curry (or less to taste). Cook an additional 1 minute. Remove from heat and pour over broccoli.
- STIR in mayonnaise and cherries (or raisins). Enjoy this salad warm or chilled. Cover and refrigerate leftovers. Keeps well up to 2 days.