Classic Italian Pizzelles
Pizzelles are wafer-like cookies delicately flavored with anise (or any flavor extracts you like). Dust them with confectioners’ sugar and enjoy them dipped in coffee or tea, served on the side with ice cream or topped with custard or fruit preserves and whipped cream.
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 2 cups Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds (optional)
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- HEAT a pizzelle iron according to device instructions.
- WHISK eggs until thick and foamy; add sugar and whisk to combine.
- ADD melted butter, vanilla extract, anise extract, flour, baking powder, salt and anise seeds; whisk until fully incorporated.
- USING an ice cream scoop, scoop one tablespoon of batter into the center of each pizzelle form and cook for 45 to 60 seconds, depending on your preference.
- COOL on metal rack. When cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Wait until pizzelles are completely cool before stacking.
- STORE in an airtight container.