Back to top
Fried Green Tomato BLT’s with Garlic-Herb Mayo
Green tomatoes are firm, tart and slightly sweet. When fried crispy and topped with homemade Garlic-Herb Mayo they add a burst of flavor and texture to the classic American bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich.
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Blue Plate®️ Mayonnaise, divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 6 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- ½ Swans Down® Cake Flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds green tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch thick slices and seeded
- 8 slices lightly toasted sourdough bread
- 8 slices cooked thick-cut bacon
- 8 green, crisp lettuce leaves
- MAKE GARLIC HERB MAYO: In a small bowl, stir together basil, 1 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, dill and garlic. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use (up to 1 week).
- FRY TOMATOES: Heat oil in a small Dutch oven or 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- PLACE flour in a small, shallow bowl. In another bowl, whisk together eggs and remaining 2 tablespoons Blue Plate® Mayonnaise. In a third bowl, stir together cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and pepper. Dredge tomatoes, one at a time, into flour mixture, then egg mixture, then cornmeal mixture. Place dredged tomatoes on a wire rack.
- FRY tomatoes, working in batches, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Using a spider strainer or a slotted spatula, transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly.
- ASSEMBLE SANDWICHES: Divide and spread mayonnaise mixture onto bread slices. Place 2 lettuce leaves over mayonnaise mixture on 4 bread slices; top each with 2 pieces of bacon and 2 to 3 fried green tomatoes. Top with remaining 4 bread slices, mayonnaise side down. Serve Immediately.