about 24 cookies
Made-from-scratch gingerbread cookies will fill your house with the spicy aromas of the holiday season – but luckily you can make them anytime of year! Pack them in pretty tins for home-baked holiday gifts, or frost them with funny faces and clothing to make the kids laugh when they open their lunch boxes.
- 4 1/2 cups Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon meringue powder (optional – speeds up drying)
- PREHEAT oven to 375℉; line one or more baking sheets with parchment paper
- MAKE COOKIES: Whisk cake flour, sugar, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- CREAM butter, evaporated milk and molasses in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Start on low speed to keep the mixture from splashing out. Increase speed to medium and mix until combined.
- ADD flour mixture to butter mixture 1 cup at a time, mixing until all flour is combined. Dough should be stiff enough to handle without sticking to your fingertips. If it is too sticky you can add up to 1/2 cup more cake flour.
- ROLL dough out to 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes and place cut pieces on prepared baking sheet(s).
- BAKE for 10 to 15 minutes until browned but still soft. Cool on a wire rack.
- MAKE FROSTING: Combine confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons water and vanilla extract in medium bowl and stir until combined. If the icing is too thick add more water, about a teaspoon at a time, until desired texture is reached.
- DECORATE cookies with frosting as desired.