Glazed Apple Doughnuts
Swans Down® Cake Flour makes great fried dough! This recipe is a go-to for lovers of authentic doughnuts made from scratch. Apple cider, grated fresh apple and a spiced glaze make them extra hearty and delicious for dunking.
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 5 1/2 cups Swans Down®️ Cake Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, grated and squeezed of excess liquid
- Canola oil for frying
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- MAKE DOUGH: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Reduce apple cider in a heavy-bottomed pot by 1/2 to 3/4 cup over medium heat. Set aside.
- WHISK flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside. Cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated. Add reduced apple cider, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Mix to combine. Add flour mixture. Mix until smooth. Fold in grated apple.
- TURN dough out onto a well floured surface. (You will need a rubber spatula or plastic bowl scraper; this dough will be sticky.) Flour the top of dough.
- ROLL dough out to 1/2-inch thickness with a rolling pin. Dip doughnut cutter into flour and use it to cut out doughnuts. (You can also use a 3-inch and a 1 1/2-inch biscuit cutter to shape doughnuts.) Place cut doughnuts on prepared baking sheet.
- LINE another sheet pan with paper towels and set aside. Fill a large, heavy-bottomed pot with 3 inches of canola oil.
- HEAT oil to 375℉, then carefully place doughnuts into hot oil. Do not overcrowd. Fry doughnuts 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until lightly golden brown.
- REMOVE from oil and place on paper towels. Let cool while making glaze.
- MAKE GLAZE: Whisk together heavy cream, powdered sugar, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- DIP cooled doughnuts in warm glaze.