Halftime Sausage Chili
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (12-ounce) bottles beer
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans red kidney beams, rinsed and drained
- 1 package Carroll Shelby's® Chili Kit
- 2 pounds smoked sausage, sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, peppers, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, beer, beans, ½ salt, spice packet and cayenne pepper packet to taste. Add sausage to the pot, then cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes.
- Mix masa packet with ¼ cup warm water until smooth and stir into chili. Simmer for 15 minutes, until thickened.