Triple Pepper Pressure Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
4 to 6 servings
Whip up this tasty Tex-Mex soup in about a half hour for an easy, inexpensive lunch or weeknight meal. The crunchy tortilla strips are a show stopper, and make this the perfect Wednesday dinner using leftover tortillas from Taco Tuesday.
- 6 (6-inch) tortillas, corn or flour, sliced in half and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 cup olive oil or other neutral oil + 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 poblano pepper, stemmed, seeded, small dice
- 1 anaheim pepper, stemmed, seeded, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package Carroll Shelby’s White Chicken Chili Kit
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + extra to taste
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced into thin rounds
- Sour cream, for serving, optional
- Heat the 1/4 cup oil in a large, cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, fry the tortilla strips in batches until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined platter and season with salt.
- Set a pressure cooker to the saute setting on high. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. When hot, add onion, peppers, and garlic; cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the contents of the chili kit except for the masa harina (save the masa harina for another use). Add the tomatoes and chopped green chilies and stir well. Stir in the chicken and the chicken stock and season with salt. Press cancel.
- Select the manual setting, then set the pressure to high; set time to 10 minutes. When cooking time is finished, quick-release the pressure according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Remove the chicken from the pot and shred. Stir the shredded chicken back into the pot and add the cilantro.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with diced avocado, sliced jalapeño, tortilla strips and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.