Meatball and Onion Gravy Po-Boy
This yummy meal falls into the category of po-boys to be served with several napkins. (It is also a delicious open-face sandwich.) The meatballs can be prepared ahead of time and baked while the gravy is made. Toasting the bread helps it hold up to the gravy, and the flavor combination of toasted bread, mayonnaise, gravy and onions is a knockout.
- 1 pound lean hamburger, such as ground round or sirloin
- ¼ cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Montreal-style steak seasoning
- 2 large onions, halved, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 20 to 24-inch loaf French bread, sliced horizontally
- Blue Plate® Mayonnaise, for sandwiches
- MAKE MEATBALLS: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix hamburger with mayonnaise, cheese, Worcestershire sauce and steak seasoning. Form into about sixteen 1 ½-inch balls and place in a shallow baking pan. Bake about 25 minutes, until the interior is no longer pink. Remove meatballs to a platter lined with paper towels. Save drippings. NOTE: Meatballs can be prepared up to one day ahead, covered and refrigerated, then baked while gravy is prepared. (Reroll a bit to round the meatballs back into shape, if desired.)
- MAKE ONION GRAVY: Over medium heat in a large skillet, heat oil and butter. Add onions, thyme, salt and pepper, and saute until onions are translucent and tender, about 10 minutes.
- ADD 2 teaspoons drippings from meatballs. Sprinkle flour over onions. Stir until fat is absorbed. Slowly add broth, stirring constantly, to make a smooth gravy. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer until just thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- SLICE and toast French bread while gravy is cooking.
- ADD meatballs when gravy has reached the thickness desired. Stir well. Heat 5 minutes, until everything is hot.
- ASSEMBLE sandwiches. Liberally spread both sides of bread with mayonnaise. Layer meatballs, onions and gravy on bottom half. Place the top half on the sandwich and press together. Serve immediately with lots of napkins.
- REFRIGERATE leftover meatballs and gravy. Keeps well up to three days. Reheat in microwave.