Back to top
Dilly Deviled Eggs with Pickled Shrimp
Classic deviled eggs garnished with tart pickled shrimp that are full of Low Country flavor.
- Pickled Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning®️
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound shrimp, small 20/21, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 2 bay leaves (preferably fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed
- Dilly Eggs
- 12 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 1/3 cup Blue Plate®️ Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt, to taste
- Ground white pepper, to taste
- Pickle Shrimp and Shallots: Bring 4 cups of water, Old Bay Seasoning, salt and crushed red pepper to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add shrimp and remove from heat. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp begin to turn opaque. Add ice to the pot and let cool completely.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and cilantro leaves until well combined. Add bay leaves, mustard seed, celery seed, coriander seed, shallot, garlic and lemon slices. Transfer to a bowl and add the shrimp; toss well, making sure shrimp is submerged in pickling marinade. Cover and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Make Eggs: Slice eggs in half lengthwise, carefully remove yolks and set whites aside. Press yolks through a fine mesh strainer into a small bowl. In another small bowl, combine mayonnaise, dill, mustard, lemon juice, zest, salt and pepper. Add the yolks and whisk until smooth.
- Transfer egg mixture to a piping bag and pipe the mixture into the well of each egg white. Garnish each deviled egg with a pickled shrimp, a slice of pickled shallot and a sprig of dill.