Smoked Salmon Canapés
3 dozen canapés
Freshly prepared salmon mousse, seasoned with lemon juice and the tart flavor of pickled capers, is rolled up in cucumber strips and complemented with a salty caviar topping. At least one type of caviar can be found in most major supermarkets, and salmon roe could also be substituted.
- 8 ounces smoked salmon
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely diced red onion + extra for garnish
- Zest from 1 lemon, about 1 teaspoon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons capers
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 English cucumber
- Dill, for garnish
- Caviar, for garnish
- Combine smoked salmon, cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons diced red onion, lemon zest and capers in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Transfer salmon mousse to a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip.
- Using a peeler or mandolin, slice cucumbers lengthwise to 1/8 inch in thickness. Line a cookie sheet with a double layer of paper towels and lay cucumber slices side by side on the sheet to dry; set aside.
- Spread 2 to 3 teaspoons of salmon mousse on a dry cucumber slice. Starting on 1 end of the slice, gently roll up into a roulade. Place on a platter vertically and garnish with caviar and dill sprigs. Cover and refrigerate. Serve chilled.