Southern Drop Biscuits
Mayonnaise replaces fat and eggs in this super-simple version of light, fluffy homemade biscuits. There’s no need to knead; just drop and bake. Whole milk works, and so does skim. You will think of endless variations on this recipe: Add minced chives or basil, or add a little garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. Or bake in greased muffin tins.
- 1 cup milk
- ⅓ cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 2 cups self-rising* flour
- PREHEAT oven to 425 degrees. Coat a large cookie sheet with nonstick spray, or cover with parchment or a silicone mat.
- MIX milk and mayonnaise with a whisk in a large bowl. Whisk in flour slowly, whisking just enough to combine. Scrape down sides. If mixture is too thin, add additional flour in ¼ cup increments until dough can be scooped.
- DROP about 2 tablespoons dough at a time onto the prepared cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm. Wrap leftovers and store at room temperature for up to 2 days.
*If you don’t have self-rising flour, substitute 2 cups all-purpose flour plus 3 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt.