Vietnamese Spicy Cilantro Pork Sandwich (Banh Mi)
Cilantro and peppery spices are staples in Vietnamese cuisine, which makes Blue Plate® Go Bold Spicy Cilantro Sauce the perfect ingredient in this banh mi sandwich of marinated and roasted pork tenderloin. Make extra pickled vegetables using this recipe – you’ll love having them on hand for adding “zing” to any sandwich!
- 1 pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat
- 1 cup Blue Plate® Go Bold Spicy Cilantro Sauce, divided
- 1 cup pickled red onions (recipe follows)
- 1 cup pickled carrot ribbons (recipe follows)
- 1 small English cucumber, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed
- 4 crusty hoagie buns or pieces of cut French bread
PICKLED CARROT RIBBONS AND RED ONIONS
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- MARINATE PORK: Spread ½ cup of the Blue Plate® Go Bold Spicy Cilantro Sauce in a shallow dinner plate and roll pork in sauce to generously coat. Set aside for 20 minutes to marinate. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- MAKE PICKLED CARROT RIBBONS AND RED ONIONS: With a vegetable peeler, shave carrots into ribbons and place in medium bowl. Place onions in separate bowl. In a saucepan, bring water, vinegars, sugar and salt to a boil. Pour over carrots and onions in their separate bowls. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate, keeping vegetables in separate bowls until ready to use.
- ROAST PORK: Remove pork from marinade and place in oven on small sheet pan. Roast until internal temperature reaches 150 degrees, about 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature and slice thinly.
- ASSEMBLE SANDWICHES: Spread both sides of bread with remaining Blue Plate® Go Bold Spicy Cilantro Sauce, then layer sliced pork, pickled vegetables and cucumber and top with fresh cilantro leaves.