Spicy Crab Shooters
About 100 pieces
In 2016, this scrumptious version of sushi served in clever cucumber cups, won first place for the Swine Spectators in the side dishes category, sponsored by Blue Plate® Mayonnaise, at the Hogs for the Cause Barbecue competition and fund-raiser. The recipe makes plenty for a party, and is easy to halve if you wish.
- 12 English cucumbers
- Prepared seaweed salad (about 4 ounces)
- Tobiko (or masago), flying fish roe, for garnish*
- 2 pounds sushi-grade crab sticks
- Roasted sushi nori (seaweed sheets for wrapping), for garnish
- ⅓ cup dark soy sauce
- ⅓ cup light soy sauce
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sesame oil
- ½ cup spicy chicharrones (pork rinds)
- ½ cup fried red onions (or substitute canned french fried onions)
- MAKE Soy Dressing. In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix soy sauces, sugar, garlic powder and onion powder. Cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- MAKE Spicy Mayonnaise: In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, sriracha, and hot sesame oil.
- MAKE Chicharrón Crumble. Place pork rinds and onions in a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. Scrape into a small bowl and wipe out food processor.
- PLACE crab sticks in food processor and process until finely chopped. Reserve ¼ cup of the Spicy Mayonnaise, and add remainder to the crab sticks. Pulse until well mixed.
- PEEL cucumbers and cut into 1-inch slices. Use a melon baller to carefully remove the centers, making the side walls and bottom as thin as possible but still intact, to make a small cup, or “shooter.”
- CUT nori into thin strips for garnish.
- ASSEMBLE by packing crab mixture into the shooter cups with a small spoon. Top with prepared seaweed salad and tobiko. Place a dollop of Soy Sauce Reduction and Spicy Mayonnaise on top. Sprinkle Chicharrón Crumble on top and garnish with a small strip of nori.
- SERVE at once. Refrigerate leftovers, covered, for up to 2 days.