Back to top
“7Up Cake” Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups sifted Swans Down®️ Cake Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup 7-Up® soda, room temperature
- Fresh lemon and lime slices, for garnish
- Lemon-Lime Frosting (recipe follows)
- LEMON-LIME FROSTING
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- MAKE CUPCAKES: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- SIFT together flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl; set aside. In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, lemon zest and lime zest with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with soda, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- BAKE for 18 to 23 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan, then remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- MAKE FROSTING: Beat together confectioners’ sugar, butter, lime zest and salt in a large bowl at medium speed, just until combined.
- ADD lemon juice gradually and beat until frosting is light, fluffy and has a smooth, pipeable consistency. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a medium open star pastry tip (Wilton 1M) and pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Garnish with lemon and lime slices, if desired.