St. Patricks Day Rainbow Cake
1 (5-layer) 8 inch cake
Food coloring, sprinkles, buttercream frosting and some creativity are all that’s needed to customize our famous 1-2-3-4 Layer Cake in the colors of the rainbow – or any palette that the occasion requires.
- 1 batch Swans Down 1-2-3-4 Layer Cake batter
- Food coloring (in desired colors)
- 2 batches Mousseline Buttercream
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease and line 5 (8-inch) cake pans.
- Divide the 1-2-3-4 Layer Cake batter evenly into 5 bowls. Add 1 color of food coloring to each bowl to reach desired hue and stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Assemble the cake with a layer of frosting in between each cake layer. Apply a crumb coat to the assembled cake and chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from refrigerator; frost and decorate as desired.