St. Patrick’s Day Rainbow Cake
1 (5-layer) 8 inch cake
Customize a 1-2-3-4 Layer Cake for St. Patrick’s Day in honor of the legendary pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! Food coloring, sprinkles, gold chocolate coins, buttercream frosting and some creativity are all that’s needed.
- 1 batch Swans Down 1-2-3-4 Layer Cake batter
- Food coloring (red, orange, green, blue, purple)
- Gold chocolate coins
- 2 batches Mousseline Buttercream
- Green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Grease and line 5 (8-inch) cake pans.
- Divide the 1-2-3-4 Layer Cake batter evenly into 5 bowls. Add 1 color of food coloring to each bowl to reach desired hue and stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Assemble the cake with a layer of frosting in between each cake layer. Apply a crumb coat to the assembled cake and chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from refrigerator and frost the top of the cake. Divide the remaining frosting into 3 portions and place in 3 bowls. Leave 1 portion white and mix green food coloring into the remaining 2 portions to create a light green and a dark green.
- Place each frosting portion in a separate piping bag. Beginning at top edge of cake, pipe the white frosting around the cake; below it pipe the light green frosting, and at base of cake pipe the dark green frosting. Smooth the frosting with an offset spatula.
- Pipe decorations on cake with remaining frosting as desired, top with colored sprinkles and garnish with gold chocolate coins.