Carroll Shelby’s® Posole
4 quarts, about 8 servings
Posole is a traditional Mexican soup or stew made with tasty corn hominy and a spicy meat like pulled pork. Carroll Shelby’s Chili Kit spices are perfect for making a fast and easy Posole.
- 1 pound dried hominy
- 3 pounds pork butt, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 Carroll Shelby’s® Chili Kit
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 cups large-diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- One (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 guajillo chilis
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig oregano
- 1 Anaheim chili, large dice
- 1 poblano chili, large
- 4 cups chicken stock or water
- Avocado, chopped, for garnish
- Tomatillos, chopped, for garnish
- Mexican crema (or sour cream), for garnish
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Limes, for serving
- Tortilla chips, for serving
- SOAK hominy for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- SEASON pork butt with half of the Carroll Shelby’s® spice packet and the cayenne pepper packet.
- HEAT 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown pork on all sides, about 5 to 6 minutes per batch. Transfer cooked pork to a platter.
- SELECT Medium Sauté in a 6-quart Instant Pot. Add the other 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and heat until sizzling, then add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, about 1 more minute. Add tomatoes.
- WRAP guajillos, bay leaves and oregano in a piece of cheese cloth tied closed with kitchen twine and add it to the pot.
- ADD chilis and chicken stock to pot. Drain hominy and add to pot. Add pork and 2 tablespoons of the remaining Carroll Shelby’s spice packet. Press Cancel, lock the lid in place and move the pressure valve to Seal. Select Pressure Cook or Manual; make sure the pressure level is set to High. Set the cooking time for 90 minutes. When done, allow the pressure to reduce naturally for 15 minutes, then release remaining steam by moving the pressure valve to Vent. Press Cancel, carefully open the pot and let contents cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- REMOVE pork from Instant Pot to a bowl or a platter, and using two forks, shred meat. Return meat to pot and mix well. The posole should be slightly soupy, with lots of broth.
- SERVE posole garnished with avocado, tomatillos, crema, cilantro, limes and tortilla chips.