1 (3-layer) 8-inch cake
Descended from the multilayered “Dobostorta,” designed by a Hungarian baker to withstand high temperatures when shipped around the world, the Doberge Cake has been for generations an iconic dessert tradition in New Orleans, where we’re no strangers to hot, humid weather conditions. The chocolate pudding filling between each delicate cake layer can be substituted with any flavor of pudding (make sure it’s thick enough!) or buttercream frosting.
- 1 (8-inch) Vanilla Buttermilk Cake (use 3 cake pans to make 3 layers)
- Chocolate Fudge Buttercream Frosting
- Pudding Filling (recipe follows)
- Chocolate Ganache (recipe follows)
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- Make Pudding Filling: Sift cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt together in a medium bowl. Whisk in heavy cream and egg yolks until thick, smooth and void of lumps. Set aside. Bring milk and sugar to simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Temper the cocoa mixture with the hot milk by whisking half into the cocoa mixture. When incorporated, whisk in remaining milk. Return pan to stovetop and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking continuously as it thickens. Once it starts to boil (large bubbles will come to the surface), turn heat down to medium and whisk vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in vanilla extract. Pour into a shallow container and spread evenly. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of pudding to prevent skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Assemble Cake: Slice each Vanilla Buttermilk Cake layer horizontally in half, creating 6 evenly sized layers (for best results use a long, sharp, serrated knife or a layer-cake slicer). Place the first layer on a cake round and pipe a ring of Chocolate Fudge Buttercream Frosting around the top edge. Spread Chocolate Pudding evenly on the top, inside the ring of frosting. Repeat with remaining layers, except top layer. Place cake in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Apply a crumb coat to entire cake with remaining Chocolate Fudge Buttercream Frosting, making sure the finish is as smooth as possible. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or place in freezer for 30 minutes).
- Make Ganache: Place chocolate in medium bowl. Bring heavy cream to a simmer. Pour over chocolate and let sit for 2 minutes, then whisk until smooth (no lumps).
- Place chilled cake on a wire rack over a parchment-lined baking sheet. Pour Chocolate Ganache over top of cake and down sides so that the whole cake is covered, and garnish as desired.