Back to top
CARROLL SHELBY’S WHITE BEAN CHICKEN CHILI
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 medium poblano peppers, seeded and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package Carroll Shelby's® White Chicken Chili Kit
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed, meat shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lime juice, plus more to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream, to taste, for serving
- Crushed tortilla chips, for serving
- Shredded cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese, for serving
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- BLEND 1 can of beans and 1 cup of chicken broth in a food processor or blender; set aside.
- HEAT oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, then add onion, jalapeño pepper and poblano peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for one minute more.
- ADD spice packages from Carroll Shelby’s Chili Kit. (For thicker chili, also stir in the masa harina.) Stir until well combined.
- ADD blended beans and remaining 3 cups of chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- STIR in shredded chicken, reserved can of drained and rinsed white beans and lime juice. Bring back to a simmer and cook until everything is heated through, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt and lime juice, if necessary.
- STIR in cilantro. At this point the chili will look brothy and thin. Allow chili to sit and thicken. The longer it sits, the thicker it becomes.
- LADLE chili into bowls and serve it how you like it, with toppings like sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, cheese, chopped cilantro and lime wedges.