Back to top
Who knew cake flour makes the finest, fluffiest, tastiest waffles? Make these yummy chocolate waffles from scratch for a special family Sunday brunch, a lazy summer morning with the kids or even a late-night snack.
- 1 ¾ cups Swans Down® Cake Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup melted semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk, warmed
- ½ cup plus ¼ cup melted butter
- Fresh berries, for serving
- Sweetened whipped cream for serving
- COMBINE flour, baking powder and salt in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- COMBINE melted chocolate, egg yolks and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- WHISK together milk and ½ cup of the melted butter in a small bowl, then beat it into the egg mixture.
- FOLD the flour mixture into the egg mixture and stir until combined but batter is still lumpy.
- BEAT egg whites in another bowl until they form stiff peaks, then gently fold into batter. (It’s ok if there are little flecks of egg white that are not completely incorporated.)
- PREHEAT waffle iron, then brush lightly with some remaining melted butter, reserving some butter for brushing tops of waffles before serving.
- POUR enough batter onto waffle iron to cover grid. Close lid and cook according to manufacturer instructions. Repeat process for each waffle until all batter is used.
- BRUSH each waffle with remaining butter, top with berries and whipped cream if desired, and serve immediately.