Creamy Black-eyed Pea Salad
Black-eyed peas, those flavorful field peas so beloved in the South, can be enjoyed not just on New Year’s Day but all year long, prepared in a variety of ways. This hearty salad is a perfect make-ahead side dish for a barbecue, game-day party, holiday feast or potluck dinner.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Creole mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 small jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped + extra for garnish
- Place vinegar, mayonnaise, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Combine black-eyed peas, red onion, red and yellow bell pepper, cucumber, green onion, tomato, jalapeño, garlic, 2 tablespoons parsley, and toss well. Add the vinaigrette and toss to combine. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
- The salad keeps well as long as it’s chilled; it can be made up to two days in advance and stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator.