Back to top
Fish Tacos with Corn Salsa
Make taco Tuesdays, meatless Fridays or any day of the week stand out with fresh, homemade tacos loaded with flavor. An easy sauce made with mayonnaise, sour cream and chipotle paste pulls it all together.
- Corn Salsa
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 4 ears corn
- Salt, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1/2 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Fish Tacos
- 3/4 pound catfish fillets (about 10 small fillets)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons Creole seasoning, divided
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Swans Down®️ Cake Flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grapeseed oil (for frying)
- 4 tablespoons Blue Plate®️ Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (or Mexican crema)
- 2 teaspoons chipotle paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Corn (or flour) tortillas, for serving
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Make Salsa: Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the corn with 2 tablespoons avocado oil. Season with salt and cayenne pepper. Grill the corn for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until lightly charred. Remove from grill; when cool enough to handle, remove the kernels using a sharp knife. Transfer kernels to a large bowl and add avocado, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, oregano, cumin, coriander and chili powder, remaining avocado oil and salt and cayenne pepper, to taste. Fold ingredients together, trying not to break up the avocado. Set aside for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Fry Fish: Place buttermilk in a shallow bowl, stir in 1 teaspoon of the Creole seasoning and place fish to soak in buttermilk. Combine cornmeal, flour and 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning in another shallow bowl. Combine eggs and remaining teaspoon Creole seasoning in a third shallow bowl.
- Heat oil in a medium cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Remove each catfish fillet from buttermilk and dredge in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess, then in the egg mixture and back into the cornmeal mixture. Once oil is hot, carefully add fish to the pan and fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Using a fish spatula, transfer fish to a paper towel lined plate.
- Make Chipotle Sauce: Combine mayonnaise, sour cream and chipotle paste and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Warm the tortillas on a hot griddle or in a warm oven. Spread 1 tablespoon sauce over each tortilla, add one fish fillet, top with corn salsa and garnish with cilantro leaves.