Gulf Coast Shrimp Dip
Shrimp season along the Gulf Coast lasts from around May or June until sometime in December. Wild-caught Gulf shrimp are readily available frozen, too. This delicious dip is simple to make and sure to delight everyone at your next get-together.
- 1 ½ pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- MELT butter in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and ½ teaspoon of the salt and continue to cook until shrimp are cooked through and vegetables are tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- COMBINE cream cheese, mayonnaise, buttermilk, green onions, lemon juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, cayenne and lemon zest in the bowl of a food processor. Quickly pulse ingredients, for about 30 seconds.
- ALLOW shrimp to cool slightly, then add to the bowl of the food processor. Process for 30 seconds or until just combined. The dip should be fairly chunky.
- SERVE on toasted slices of baguette or your favorite crackers.