Hot Holiday Spiced Tea
This comforting drink is an ideal choice for holiday entertaining, fall tailgating or anytime there is a chill in the air.
- 1 large navel orange
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 ½ cups orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1 Luzianne® Family Size Iced Tea bag
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- Using a vegetable peeler remove the zest from the orange in long strips. Reserve the remaining orange for another use.
- Prepare citrus syrup: Add the orange zest, sugar and water to a small saucepot. Stir. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until sugar is dissolved, about 90 seconds. Set aside to steep for 20 minutes. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the solids from the liquid, pressing on the solids with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids.
- In a large pot, bring the orange juice and citrus syrup to a boil. Add the tea bag, cinnamon and cloves. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 10 minutes. Remove and discard the tea bag, cinnamon and cloves. Serve warm.
For a festive toddy, replace ¾ cup of the orange juice with 1 cup of dark rum. Serve warm in teacups. Keep your toddy hot all night long: Serve it out of a slow cooker set to a low temperature.