White Holiday Fruit Cake
- 4 cups – sifted Swans Down Cake Flour
- 1 teaspoon – baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon – baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon – salt
- 1 pound – sultana raisins
- 1/2 pound each – crystallized orange peel, lemon peel, pineapple, and red cherries, finely cut,
- 1 pound – blanched almonds, finely cut
- 1 cup – butter or other shortening
- 1 1/2 cup – sugar
- 1 tablespoon – lemon juice
- 1/2 pound – citron, finely cut
- 10 egg whites – stiffly beaten
SIFT flour once, measure, add baking powder, soda, and salt, and sift together three times. Sift 1 cup of flour mixture over fruits and nuts; mix thoroughly.
CREAM shortening thoroughly, add sugar gradually and cream together until light and fluffy. Add remaining flour mixture to creamed, a small amount at a time. Beat after each addition until smooth. Add lemon juice, fruits, and nuts. Fold in egg whites.
POUR into paper-lined tube pan or small bread pans, 2 x 2 ¾ x 4 ½ inches. Bake in slow oven (250 degrees) 2 ½ hours, then increase to 300 degrees for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and decorate. Make 6 pounds fruit cake.