Back to top
Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup shallot, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can petit diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, U16/20, peeled and deveined, leaving the head and tail intact
- 2 tablespoons Tiger Sauce®️
- 2 tablespoons Ojen liquor or Anisette or other licorice flavored liquor
- 1 teaspoon each of mint, oregano and basil, roughly chopped
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- Sourdough bread, baguette or other crusty bread for serving
- Preheat the oven to broil and set the oven rack 5 to 6-inches under the broiler.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer.
- Toss the shrimp in the Tiger sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, when hot add the shrimp and cook for 1 minute. Carefully add the Ojen or other licorice flavored liqueur to the pan and gently tip the pan towards the flame to ignite. Alternately, using a long match ignite the alcohol. Shake the pan until the flame dies down.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Transfer the onion and tomato mixture to a baking dish. Pour the shrimp over the top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle mint, oregano and basil over the shrimp and top with the crumbled feta. Place casserole dish in the broiler and broil for 3 to 4 minutes or until the cheese is slightly browned.
- Serve over toasted slices of sourdough.