Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
About 24 cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups Swans Down Cake Flour
- 3-1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
PREHEAT oven to 375°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
COOKIES: In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with a mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, beating well.
WHISK together Swans Down Cake Flour, cocoa and baking soda in a separate bowl. With a mixer on medium speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Add food coloring, vinegar and vanilla, beating until combined.
SHAPE cookie dough into balls (about 2 tablespoons each) and place at least 2 inches apart on prepared pans. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
BAKE until tops are set, about 8 minutes. Let cookies cool on pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
FROSTING: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with a mixer at high speed for 1 minute. Reduce mixer speed to medium and gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth.
CRUMBLE 2 of the cooled cookies and set aside. Spread frosting over remaining cookies and sprinkle with cookie crumbles.