Back to top
Shrimp (Cakes) Patty Sandwiches
These shrimp patties, or shrimp cakes, are made in the same style as crab cakes and every bit as spicy and delicious. Serve them on a soft brioche bun dressed with lettuce and tomato.
- 3/4 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise, divided
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana style hot sauce, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard or other whole grain spicy mustard
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pound large peeled and deveined shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs, divided
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed oil, more if needed
- 4 brioche buns
- 4 leaves Bibb lettuce
- 4 slices ripe tomato
- Make spicy mayo: Combine 1/2 cup of the mayonnaise, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the hot sauce and 1/4 teaspoon of the Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce and 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, green onions, red peppers, mustard, parsley, lemon zest and salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times until the mixture is smooth. Add shrimp and egg and pulse several times until the mixture is smooth but still slightly chunky.
- Using wet hands form 4 shrimp patties. Transfer patties to a shallow bowl containing the panko breadcrumbs. Coat all sides of the patties with the crumbs. Place on a baking sheet and place in freezer for 5 minutes or until firm enough to handle. (Shrimp patties can be frozen at this point for up to 1 month.)
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook for 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Toast brioche buns. Place a shrimp patty on the bottom of each bun, top with lettuce, and tomato. Spread 2 tablespoons reserved mayonnaise on each bun and place on top.
- Serve hot.